Madeleine businessman faces court


November 26, 2009
Press Association

A businessman whose firm helped look for Madeleine McCann and who is wanted in the US for an alleged £1.2 million fraud has appeared in court.  Kevin Halligen, 48, faced City of Westminster magistrates after he was arrested on an extradition warrant in Oxford.

The US Department of Justice issued an indictment for Halligen, from Surrey, earlier this month alleging that he tried to defraud a London law firm of 2.1 million US dollars (£1.3 million). They claim that he took the money as part of a deal to secure the release of Dutch business executives arrested in the Ivory Coast, but instead spent it on a mansion, a gift to his girlfriend, cash machine withdrawals and debit-card transactions. He was arrested on Tuesday at a hotel in Oxford, where he has been staying for several months under an assumed name.

Following a short hearing at court on Wednesday, he was refused bail and he was remanded in custody until December 2, when the case will be heard again.

Halligen's firm, Oakley International, was used by Madeleine's parents Kate and Gerry for around six months last year to look for their missing daughter. The Washington-based firm was paid about £300,000 by backers of Mr and Mrs McCann to help look for the child after she went missing from an Algarve resort in May 2007 at the age of three. The six-month contract saw the firm hire other private detectives, set up a hotline and process information. The firm had initially been given a £500,000 contract but the McCanns terminated the arrangement before paying any more fees.

Melanie Cumberland, acting for the UK government, told the court she was not aware of any proceedings arising from that matter. But the court did hear that Halligen claims that he had been forced to move from his UK address into a series of hotels after press attention as a result of the arrangement with the McCanns.

The Irish national, the court heard, had been staying at a series of addresses over the last eight months in a bid to evade reporters.

Halligen was told that he could apply again for bail at the December 2 hearing and the court heard that a full extradition request was likely to be submitted by the US authorities by the end of January next year.


1 Responses to "Madeleine businessman faces court"
Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to more of these. Thank you.


December 1, 2009 at 10:44 PM

Post a Comment

 
Return to top of page Copyright © 2010 | Flash News Converted into Blogger Template by HackTutors